Saturday, November 10, 2012

There's A New Humble Bundle

Guys, guys, there's a new Humble Bundle out! Wait, you know about Humble Bundles, right?

I seriously wonder why any gamer would not partake in the greatness and glory of the Humble Bundles... Perhaps you are heartless and want nothing to do with helping any charity. Perhaps you believe in being charged more money for less games. Perhaps, dare I suggest it, you do not care for the video game industry. Or (and I would rather you fall into this last camp) perhaps you do not even know about the Humble Bundles, in which case you best keep on reading. And if you already know of and love them please feel free to continue anyway, nodding in agreement the whole way.

In short dear readers, I am hear to tell you about one of the greatest things under the sun: Humble (Indie) Bundles!

The first Humble Indie Bundle line-up!
I was fortunate enough to hear about these terrific treasure troves from the start with the first Humble Indie Bundle back in May of 2010. I purchased it at a price comfortable for me at the time and wherein I obtained the likes of World of Goo, Lugaru HD and more. I am still grateful to my cousin for pointing me in its direction. It has consistently been the best deal in gaming ever since.


Check out this advertisement for the current Humble Bundle for Android 4. Don't let the name disuade you. All these titles can be downloaded and played on Mac and PC. Watch the above trailer to see what titles are featured herein. As the catchy theme song tells you, "Pay what you want, DRM free, cross platform, and it helps charity." That's right, you can be a cheap bastard or a generous fellow, pay the price you want and even choose how it is distributed amongst the game developers, charities, and Humble Bundle itself.

The Binding of Isaac (2011) is one of many surprises I discovered for myself through Humble Bundles.
At the end of the day, it is all about the games and if Humble Indie Bundle did not shine in this department I would not be raving about it the way I am. From modern masterpieces like Braid to obscure experiences like Osmos. Many of the featured titles are challenging yet rewarding. One bundle featured the The Binding of Isaac (a Roguelike from the creators of Super Meat Boy) which I am still playing and loving every disturbing minute of.

An organic real-time strategy game that mixes nature with science. Sign me up! Eufloria (2009) 
Indie games ought not be thought of as lesser games. In most cases they don't cost near as much as the blockbuster titles do nor do they require the latest and greatest hardware to run, they are limited in these regards and are thus forced to explore unique ways to keep things fun and engaging. From my experience indie games are among the more innovative video games out there. Furthermore, art has no limits and some of these games beg to be labeled as such. For example, just look at Eufloria featured in the current bundle.

I have one last question for you: What are you waiting for? There has never been a better time to join the party. Wait, earlier would have been better, but now is good too! The folks at Humble Indie Bundle live and die by their mantra, "Pay what you want for awesome games and help charity," and so should every gamer!

Words by J.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment